We gather in a Wesleyen style Class meeting on Monday nights at Clapps Chapel UMC. this blog is an outpouring of the growth that occurs there.

Gabe Davis

Love Is Not.

I don't believe love is an emotion. Contrary to today's culture which portrays love as a feeling that can go away, I believe that love is an Idea, an action.  When I say I love my wife it is a description of how I treat her more than how I feel about her at any given moment.  The Idea of love being a feeling leads to divorce, resentment, and sometimes hate.  A true marriage cannot be built on short lived emotions such as like or lust, it must have a Biblical foundation and be bound by the love of God.  It is to easy to change your treatment of someone and not take responsibility for your actions if you can say, "I just fell out of love with them". The fact is you changed your mind, you decided that your wants are more important than that other person and your vows. You wouldn't say you fell out of respect with someone so why say it about love. You may quit respecting someone or quit loving someone, but that is your choice not something that happened to you.  In reality Love is intentional. Love is being kind to someone whether they deserve it or not. Love is sacrificing for the good of another. Love is understanding, forgiving, and caring. Love is Jesus. Love is not just an emotion it is a choice and we should choose to share it with the world.

1 comment:

Pumice said...

This is a truth that bears constant repetition. I think that it might be good for believers to start using the Greek agape like an English word. It might help get the point across.

Grace and Peace