We gather in a Wesleyen style Class meeting on Monday nights at Clapps Chapel UMC. this blog is an outpouring of the growth that occurs there.

Gabe Davis

Warning to the Rich and Me.

1 Come now, you rich people! Weep and wail over the miseries that are coming on you. 2 Your wealth is ruined: your clothes are moth-eaten; 3 your silver and gold are corroded, and their corrosion will be a witness against you and will eat your flesh like fire. You stored up treasure in the last days! 4 Look! The pay that you withheld from the workers who reaped your fields cries out, and the outcry of the harvesters has reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts.5 You have lived luxuriously on the land and have indulged yourselves. You have fattened your hearts for the day of slaughter.       (HCSB James 5; 1-5)

I am not rich or fattening myself for slaughter,  Or am I?  I make 40k a year.  I have four T.V.'s in my house of four people and two vehicles.  We always have food to eat and clothes to wear.  My kids have toys and play organized sports.  If I am honest with my self, we want for nothing. We live in a temperature controlled house that we own and go to a Doctor anytime we get sick.  Sounds pretty rich to me!
We read from Deuteronomy in Men's Group this week which layed out how we should treat the poor and needy.  As I came to the realization that I do not share with the truly poor and needy the way I should, James chapter 5 was read aloud by one of the men. That is when I realized......... I am fattening my self for harvest.  It is time to quit being mesmerized by all the shinny things we are blessed with today and follow Gods wishes for us to not be consumed by our wants, while others needs are not being met.  Our wealth is worthless in God's eyes if we only indulge ourselves with it.  He has blessed us with fortune but also given us great responsibility. God bless

1 comment:

Pumice said...

Some reminders need to be often repeated. This is one of them.

Thanks.

Grace and peace.