We gather in a Wesleyen style Class meeting on Monday nights at Clapps Chapel UMC. this blog is an outpouring of the growth that occurs there.

Gabe Davis

The God of "Big" Ideas

============================================================              
By Mark Dehority
In a recent conference call with some men's ministry leaders, we discussed the overwhelming nature of God's assignments. Some of the tasks seemed so large. Often we feel so overwhelmed. We don't feel equipped or ready.  When a man feels challenged to help the men's structure in an entire state and feels alone, it can be pretty overwhelming. How can I get this all accomplished? Who is going to help me? When will I find the time and energy? Is this really my calling? Will I really make a difference? Does anyone else really even care? Sometimes I identify with Mosesnot his greatness, but his               weakness. God called Moses when he was eighty, an age when he probably felt the rest of his life was outlined for him. He could take care of the sheep, play with the grandkids, meet the other               seniors for coffee every morning and stuff like that. Then God comes up with this plan and gives Moses this little task, "Go To Egypt, and bring my people home."
Moses answers, "But why me? What makes you think that I could ever go to Pharaoh, and lead the children of Israel, out of  Egypt?" (Exodus 3:11) God's responds, "I'll be with you." (Exodus 3:12)
Then Moses gives his next four objections: "Suppose I go to the people of Israel and I tell them, 'the  God of your fathers sent me to you'; and they ask me, 'what is his name?' What do I tell them?" (Exodus 3:13) "They won't trust me. They won't listen to a word I say. They're going to say, 'God appeared to him? Hardly.'" (Exodus  4:1)                
"Master, please, I don't talk well. I've never been good with words, neither before or after you spoke to me. I stutter  and stammer." (Exodus 4:10 "O, Master, please send somebody else." (Exodus 4:13)   God explained things to Moses after each objection and finally gets angry with Moses (Exodus 4:14-17). Talk about irritating the boss. Most of us are not brave enough to give five straight               excuses to our spouses. So God basically put the staff in Moses hand and says, "Let's go." (Exodus 4:17)
I can't find any examples in the Bible when God is refused and says, "OK, I'll get someone else."
When I have questions about the Bible, my pastor advises me to check what Jesus says or does. In one of his most human moments, Christ is in the garden preparing for his death and he ask God,               "My Father, if there is any way, get me out of this. But please,
 not what I want. You, what do you want" (Mathew 26:39). Jesus questions God and in the same sentence knows and submits to His will. This is the example I recommend we follow. It is not by accident that this passage is in the Bible. We have a big God. We live in a big world, with big challenges. Our big God has some really big ideas, like; disciple the world, feed the poor and change your own heart. Throughout the Bible unlikely people receive big challenges. These challenges can only be accomplished by Him working through us. If we trust in ourselves the moral of this story would be "suck it up." If we  rely on God, the moral is trust the Lord, as He says, "I'll be with you" (Exodus 3:12).


Mark Dehority, deployed staff
General Commission on               United Methodist Men
MDehority@gcumm.org

No comments: