We gather in a Wesleyen style Class meeting on Monday nights at Clapps Chapel UMC. this blog is an outpouring of the growth that occurs there.

Gabe Davis

A Daughter’s Gift

Thursday, March 1

Read: Matthew 18:1-4
There are moments in a parent’s life when they realize that their child

understands life so much better then themselves. Unfortunately, for me, I

realized it last year when my oldest daughter was only nine. Mackenzie

won a costume contest and the prize was a gift certificate to the local

movie theater. She was so excited by this gift; it was a most precious treasure

to her. For the next several weeks we tried to find a time and a movie

that the whole family could go to. Being a family of six it was hard. So,

Mackenzie stored her gift certificate in a special place where she was sure

not to lose it. Christmas rolled around and we all became absorbed in holiday

preparations. I awoke on Christmas morning, like many parents, excited

to watch my children unwrap their gifts. Children’s unhindered expressions

of joy are priceless. In the midst of the wrapping paper being

shredded, my nine year old daughter hands me a folded piece of paper. I

opened the paper, a note written by her, which read “Mom and Dad, I

wanted to get you something bigger and better but this is all that I have.

Merry Christmas! I Love You Mackenzie.” Folded up in this precious note

was her gift card to the movies. Her precious treasure she freely and gladly

gave away.

I see God in the gift from a nine year old.

Mackenzie gave her most precious treasure – gift card.

God gave His most precious treasure – His Son.

Jesus gave His most precious treasure – His life.

Prayer:
Lord, help us receive and embrace your most precious treasure. May we give

you our most precious treasure. Amen. ~Scott Briggs

No comments: