We gather in a Wesleyen style Class meeting on Monday nights at Clapps Chapel UMC. this blog is an outpouring of the growth that occurs there.

Gabe Davis

Putting Others First

Sunday, March 4
Read: John 1:14-18
I grew up in the church, from infancy to adulthood, and yet I always

had a hard time understanding who Jesus really was. I had heard all the

Bible stories of Jesus, had read many of them myself. Jesus, as depicted

in the Bible, was a very compelling figure, I thought. But it always felt

abstract. These were stories of events that happened in a time and a place

that was very different than the place and time I knew. King Jesus seemed

no more real to me than King Arthur. It wasn’t until I began to set aside

the self-interest and self-focus of childhood that I began to know who

Jesus really was. In being able to offer love to another person, I experienced

the giving love of Christ. In becoming a father, I experienced the

miracle of new life through God. In being able to give time and talent and

treasures to the needs of others, I experienced the sacrificial presence of

Jesus. Jesus Christ has taken on flesh and blood in my life in the ways I

have learned to put other people first and to live in accordance with his

purpose for me.

Prayer:
Lord God Immanuel, you have given us life that we might offer it to others.

Empower me to greater things by using me to offer your hope, your blessings, your light,

and your life in the ways that I live. In Jesus’ name. Amen.
~J.J. Williamson

No comments: