We gather in a Wesleyen style Class meeting on Monday nights at Clapps Chapel UMC. this blog is an outpouring of the growth that occurs there.

Gabe Davis

Let the Children Come-Do Not Stop Them

Thursday, February 23Read: Matthew 19:13-15About two years ago our church began a ministry that reaches out to
families we have not reached before, most of whom were previously unchurched.

This, of course, is what the church should be doing, but it also

poses challenges that can be difficult. Children who have not grown up in

the church don’t always behave in the ways everyone would like. A few

church members expressed concerns to me about the behavior of these

children. Still, as I walked into our fellowship hall recently, three young

children from one of these families ran up to me with great big smiles, the

joy shining from their faces, yelling “Pastor!” Their excitement at seeing

me is not something I often experience in the church. One by one, they

each gave me a big hug. They were delighted to be in the church (just

imagine that!) for they knew that they were loved in the church. In that

moment, I saw Jesus in their faces and I felt the Lord’s touch as they

hugged me. He truly is at work in their lives.

Prayer:
Gracious God, thank you for showing us your presence among us. You invite

all your children into your life. Forgive us for resisting and for seeking our own expectations

instead of your grace-filled purpose. Amen
. ~The Rev. Jeffry J. Roberts

No comments: